Skip to main content

Voices of Youth: A Website Just Like WTY!




   



YO, guys. I found a THING. 

I've been having a hard time figuring out exactly what to refer to WTY as, how to explain my goal with it, etc. 

And then one day- today actually- I was bored and googled "We The Youth", wondering what would come up. 

First thing I found was something about painting murals. I was like "Welp that looks cool but that's not me" and added "blog" to the search engine. And what did I find?

What did I find?

I found Voices of Youth, a website that is already doing what I'm trying to do here! DUDE. Nothing new under the sun, amiright? 

Like guys, it's got a thing for you to guest post. It's got a phrase that says "for the youth and by the youth"! It covers world events, social media, human rights, abuse, cultural differences, the economy, EVERYTHING, from diverse views!

 

Just listen to this paragraph from their FAQ's! 

"Voices of Youth is a global community for young people to learn about development issues (such as Environment, Education, Human Rights, etc.) and to express their opinions. Voices of Youth seeks to create a space that will help young people make a positive difference in their countries and communities. On VOY, young people will gain knowledge and awareness of the key thematic issues affecting young people around the world, enabling them to have an open and honest dialogue about the world in which we live." - Voices of Youth FAQ


It's doing exactly what I'm trying to do. O-O And it's doing is successfully. I feel like someone has seen into my brain, pulled out the idea, and made it a reality. But the thing is this has existed long before WTY, so either a time traveler has done this, or they thought of it first.

I haven't read much on the site, but from what I can tell it's got multiple authors, guest posters, all kinds of opinions and beliefs, all kinds of everything. It's super cool! And do I totally, 10000.2% want to do a collaboration with them sometime?

UM. YEAH. 

(also their FAQ says they are willing to work with other youth-centered websites so maybe this can actually happen sometime!)



I'm seriously taken aback by this. I mean I figured there'd be other things like this out there, but not to this extent. It's crazy, and it's really cool. 

Do I see them as a competitor? Not at all! The whole point of We The Youth is to give the youth a voice, not for me to be the one who holds the website rights. I wish VOY the very best of luck and thank them for giving so many youth a voice already, and encourage them to continue on. 

Do I feel like my job's already been done for me? Well... kinda, to be honest. I mean, they show art work, poetry, videos, audio, and posts all made by youth. They have a section for guest posting already made. They debunk misconceptions. They are certainly more professional than I, and they're doing the job really well. 

So what's the need for a second website with the same thing? 

Well, friends, I don't know. But We The Youth is going to stick around anyways. After all, it can't hurt to have more than one place for the exact same thing, right? It just means more youth have the chance of being heard. 

Common Misconceptions, guest posts, deep talks, encouragement, controversy, and all manners of WTY activity will continue on as usual, but now we have another source! I will most likely link to VOY's posts when applicable and direct the youth from here on over to their, because you can never have enough resources.


Go check out Voices of Youth and maybe tell them hi for me! 


-EJ


P.S. I don't think this needs to be said but in case it does, I'll say it anyways. I didn't know about VOY prior to this, so I do not mean to copy them whatsoever! I'm seriously blown away that something so similar to my own goal already exists, and am torn between finding it super cool and being mildly weirded out at the similarities.


P.S.S. Do you know of any other websites like WTY and VOY? Have any thoughts regarding WTY or VOY? Have any random remarks you'd like to make? I'd love to hear about them below if so!



Comments

  1. Ooh! A podcast interview with one of their people-in-charge could be really cool! Discussing the mission and why you do what you do and whatnot. ^-^

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Feel free to leave a comment on your thoughts about this post, or anything, really! Discussions are also welcome. Just please remember to be respectful and to keep your language clean. :)

Popular posts from this blog

Why I Stopped Going to Youth Group (and Why I Started WTY)

  Welcome back to WTY! I mention the basics of why I started WTY in my Qs&As tab, but what I didn't go into was why I'm so passionate about this. And youth group has a very big part in that. For my non-Christian readers, you may be wondering "what's a youth group"? A youth group is basically all of the youth of a church (ages vary, but mine is 13-18 year olds) gathering on a day (mine is Sundays) and playing and hanging out at the church with a lesson from the youth pastor (a pastor who specializes in corralling teenagers, basically). The first part of this post is why I stopped going. The next half will be how it relates to WTY. The youth pastor was always changing My church went through three youth pastors throughout my time at youth group. Each time you got to know one, began to trust them, began to feel comfortable enough to be honest and open up like you're supposed to be able to do,   they would leave and you'd have to restart the process. It was

Gina Carano Gets Canceled - and Gets a New Partnership

  Hey youth!  I imagine you likely know about the Disney+ show, The Mandalorian . And if you do, you likely also know one of the star characters; Cara Dune.  Cara Dune is the strong, independent, cliche-breaking, feminine, leading character that women want  to see. She isn't the hourglass-practically-starved-and-very-sexualized body type, she is strong, broad, muscular, and beautiful. She is independent and she is also kind and supportive of others. She's tough without trying to be a man. She isn't cocky, arrogant, rude, and doesn't make the ridiculous "what, because I'm a woman?" or "ugh men" comments. And in general, she's just a really good character.  I was thrilled when I saw her in The Mandalorian, and I was certain that for once everyone (feminists, Liberals, Conservatives, etc.) would be happy. I was sadly mistaken.  I've been wanting to find a way to incorporate my love for this character and appreciation for the actress, Gina Ca