Skip to main content

When You Can't Help

  


 






Hey there,

In this day and age, when everyone is either depressed, anxious, confused, stressed, suicidal, self loathing, or has some other issue going on, youth are faced with trying to be peer-support systems. And it can be a good thing, for sure, but there's been so many times in my personal experience, as well as times I have observed with others, where it's like all I can do it make a situation worse.

Sometimes it's because I don't have the experience, sometimes it's because  I do, sometimes it's because I having something going on at the same moment, sometimes I over empathize, sometimes I don't empathize at all. Whatever the case may be, it seems like I make things worse when I try to help. 

I wish I could say I was writing this post to share with you all the things I did to overcome this, all the things I've figured out to work my way through any scenario, but sadly can't. 

All I have to offer to you is a very small list of things that I'm trying to implement in my own experiences. 


Try asking

It's not always going to work, but sometimes if you just ask "what can I do to help", "what do you need", and other such questions you'll find it much easier to help your friend. 
They probably won't always have an answer. Mine don't always, or even often. But it's worth a shot. 


Try distracting

Sometimes, if you can't help, distraction is the best route. Again, this is sometimes, not always. And instead of just jumping into distracting your friend, you can say something like "I'm not sure how to help, but I can try to distract you", and then spam them with memes, music, videos, in depth conversations that get their mind off of it, Bible verses, quotes, etc. 


Leave it be

As of just now, while I'm drafting this post, I was in a conversation with a friend who was really frustrated and nothing I attempted was helping. I was only frustrating them more as well as getting frustrated myself, and then I really wasn't helping. So, I left it with a basic take-care-of-yourself note. That's all I could do. I didn't ghost them afterwards or anything, I just didn't continue that conversation, because to do so would only make it worse for them.


Remember it isn't your job to fix it

The Bible tells us to bear one another's burdens (Galatians 6:2), so don't misunderstand me. I'm not saying not to help your friends. But it isn't your job to fix whatever is going on. You can't fix it. So if your efforts aren't helping, it's okay. Your job is to be there for your friend, your job is not to make your friend better.
And I know how hard it can be to see your friends going through a hard time and wishing you could help, but not being able to as the situation around them gets worse and worse. It's a helpless, frustrating, discouraging, and sad feeling. It's also all of those things then a friend is just really down and you can't seem to help.
But whatever is is that's going on, it's not up to you to fix it or to make them feel better. Sometimes just letting your friend know that you're there for them, that you're listening and that you care, is enough.


And on a heavier note (because it feels wrong to leave this out): 
There's been friendships where one friend is suicidal and the other feels trapped in the friendship and they want to help but they can't and their suicidal friend takes their own life. Then the other friend blames themselves for it.
And friend, if you're blaming yourself for someone's suicide, telling yourself you could've done more, you should've done more, thinking about everything you could have said or done differently, thinking about how you didn't stop them or you didn't help them, it's time you came to the realization that your friend made a choice. 

Listen; this life is full of choices. And when your friend chooses to be bitter, chooses to be angry, chooses not to seek help, chooses to give up on something, or chooses to end their life, it's out of your hands. Only they can make that decision. It's their life, it's their mistake. As tragic and as awful as it is, it was their decision to make. You had no say in the matter. If you did, they wouldn't have done it. 

Please, friend, if you're carrying that weight, let go. It's been long enough.


~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~

A nice and heavy ending, amiright? I wish I had something lighter to close on. But, then again, sometimes you need to be left with something heavy. Maybe it's then, when we're left on a heavy thought, that we'll remember to let go of what's weighting us down. 

In general, be your friend's situation a horribly dark one or not, remember that not knowing how to help doesn't make you a bad friend. It's just a part of being human.


- EJ


(P.S. As always, you're more than welcome to give your thoughts down below. :) )


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Why I Stopped Going to Youth Group (and Why I Started WTY)

  Welcome back to WTY! I mention the basics of why I started WTY in my Qs&As tab, but what I didn't go into was why I'm so passionate about this. And youth group has a very big part in that. For my non-Christian readers, you may be wondering "what's a youth group"? A youth group is basically all of the youth of a church (ages vary, but mine is 13-18 year olds) gathering on a day (mine is Sundays) and playing and hanging out at the church with a lesson from the youth pastor (a pastor who specializes in corralling teenagers, basically). The first part of this post is why I stopped going. The next half will be how it relates to WTY. The youth pastor was always changing My church went through three youth pastors throughout my time at youth group. Each time you got to know one, began to trust them, began to feel comfortable enough to be honest and open up like you're supposed to be able to do,   they would leave and you'd have to restart the process. It was

Gina Carano Gets Canceled - and Gets a New Partnership

  Hey youth!  I imagine you likely know about the Disney+ show, The Mandalorian . And if you do, you likely also know one of the star characters; Cara Dune.  Cara Dune is the strong, independent, cliche-breaking, feminine, leading character that women want  to see. She isn't the hourglass-practically-starved-and-very-sexualized body type, she is strong, broad, muscular, and beautiful. She is independent and she is also kind and supportive of others. She's tough without trying to be a man. She isn't cocky, arrogant, rude, and doesn't make the ridiculous "what, because I'm a woman?" or "ugh men" comments. And in general, she's just a really good character.  I was thrilled when I saw her in The Mandalorian, and I was certain that for once everyone (feminists, Liberals, Conservatives, etc.) would be happy. I was sadly mistaken.  I've been wanting to find a way to incorporate my love for this character and appreciation for the actress, Gina Ca

Voices of Youth: A Website Just Like WTY!

    YO, guys.  I found a THING.  I've been having a hard time figuring out exactly what to refer to WTY as, how to explain my goal with it, etc.  And then one day- today actually- I was bored and googled "We The Youth", wondering what would come up.  First thing I found was something about painting murals. I was like "Welp that looks cool but that's not me" and added "blog" to the search engine. And what did I find? What did I find? I found Voices of Youth, a website that is already doing what I'm trying  to do here! DUDE. Nothing new under the sun, amiright?  Like guys, it's got a thing for you to guest post. It's got a phrase that says "for the youth and by the youth"! It covers world events, social media, human rights, abuse, cultural differences, the economy , EVERYTHING, from diverse views!   Just listen to this paragraph from their FAQ's!  "Voices of Youth is a global community for young people to learn about de